Advent: Jesus, Our Prophet
Jesus calls himself a prophet. What else does he say about himself?
- 1Long ago God spoke to the fathers by the prophets at different times and in different ways. 2 In these last days, he has spoken to us by his Son. God has appointed him heir of all things and made the universe through him. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact expression of his nature, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. 4 So he became superior to the angels, just as the name he inherited is more excellent than theirs. (Hebrews 1:1-4)
- Prophet – one who, moved by the Spirit of God and hence, his organ or spokesman, solemnly declares to men what he has received by inspiration, especially future events, and in particular such as relate to the cause and kingdom of God and to human salvation. (Strong’s Dictionary)
- 22 Moses said: The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your brothers and sisters. You must listen to everything he tells you. 23 And everyone who does not listen to that prophet will be completely cut off from the people. (Acts 3:22-23)
- Jesus called himself a prophet.
- Luke 13:33 “Yet it is necessary that I travel today, tomorrow, and the next day, because it is not possible for a prophet to perish outside of Jerusalem.”
- Matthew 13:57 … Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his household.”
- Jesus is the true and better Moses who stands in the gap between the people and the Lord and who mediates a new covenant.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download